The Assistant Corporate Controller is responsible for leadership and direction over the general ledger accounting, global consolidation of the financial results, and external financial reporting. The position will work closely with Operations, Sales, Finance, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, tax advisors, international finance teams, and external auditors. We are looking for someone who possesses strong leadership and organizational skills with a passion for details.
This role is based out of our NYC HQ reporting directly to the Corporate Chief Accountant.
- Supervision of monthly close process, preparation for quarterly and annual global consolidated reporting, and supporting analysis and commentary.
- Responsible for overseeing the North America monthly close process, including reviewing journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Consolidation of the global financial results including accurate recording of all intercompany and elimination entries.
- Ensure that company’s ERP system operates effectively and efficiently.
- Works with FP&A to assist in interpreting actuals versus budget/forecasts variance
- Coordinate with outside tax advisors regarding tax provisions, transfer pricing, tax returns.
- Technical accounting guidance and financial reporting.
- Ensure financial records & systems are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Responsible for providing US GAAP accounting guidance and serving as the corporate liaison with the international Controllers and North America teams.
- Review transactions and contracts to provide feedback on appropriate accounting in various areas including: stock-based compensation, goodwill and intangible assets impairment, revenue recognition, inventory accounting, leases, derivative instruments, and foreign currency transactions.
- Provides communication of the accounting and reporting requirements, and timelines to the global regions.
- Oversight over the drafting of the quarterly and annual financial statements and SEC filings
- Oversee and ensure the timely completion of the quarterly reviews and year-end audit. Assist in audit requests and work directly with external auditors.
- Assist in creating policies and procedures while instituting best practices. Consistently evaluate areas for process improvement and automation
- Work with various areas of the business to develop optimal procedures and support internal control documentation of the processes within these functions
- Additional ad-hoc accounting projects, as necessary
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Education Required: Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- Years of experience: 10 years accounting experience
- Must have previous experience overseeing the quarterly and annual financial statements and SEC filings
- Management experience required in a public company
- Experience working with SAP and TM1 is preferred
- Ability to manage documentation, with great attention to detail
- CPA, MBA, or other relevant professional designation preferred
- Prior experience in a Big 4 accounting firm is preferred
- Strong leadership skills and desire to develop and mentor team
- Proactive self-starter who has an ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet tight deadlines
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Problem-solving, analysis, and research skills to resolve outstanding issues
We currently have a 2 day per week in office requirement, to work from our office successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination, unless they qualify for a reasonable accommodation for bona fide medical or religious reasons.
The Vita Coco Company is committed to the principles of equal employment. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations. It is our intent to maintain a work environment that is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sex, sexual orientation (including transgender status, gender identity or expression), physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, AIDS/HIV status, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The Company is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.