The Category Analyst is a motivated self-starter and creative storyteller who thrives in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. They are a strategic thinker with the hustle to effectively solve problems when the answers are not easy to find. They are a collaborative and flexible team player with a strong desire to make an impact. They have exceptional communication skills (both written and verbal), keen attention to detail, and a high level of personal accountability.
In this role, the Category Analyst will partner closely with Category Management and Sales counterparts to uncover future growth opportunities, enhance business management capabilities, and advance strategic category initiatives. Responsibilities will include supporting all categories/brands in our portfolio while gaining experience with all channels in which Vita Coco plays. There will also be opportunity for frequent cross-functional collaboration and exposure to senior leadership.
This role will initially report to the Director of Category Management and will be based out of our NYC headquarters.
Customer / Consumer Insights
- Synthesize scanning, panel, and custom data sources to craft compelling, fact-based selling stories.
- Assist in developing and bringing insights to the organization and customers in the areas of consumer and shopper behavior and trade performance.
- Develop and distribute category and consumer analyses including sales, distribution, merchandising, assortment, shelving, pricing, promotion, trends, rankings, and forecasts by brand, item, etc. to support the achievement of sales and marketing objectives.
- Develop and share in-depth knowledge of the industry, shoppers, competitors, and retail customers.
- Provide guidance to key retailers to strategically manage space.
- Serve as liaison expert for the Sales team on research projects with vendor partners.
- Maintain a natural curiosity for and become an expert in natural + functional beverage trends and strategy
- Prepare and publish periodic sales trends based on available Point of Sale from retailer/syndicated data.
- Assist Category Managers in managing relationships with our syndicated vendors to maximize the use of these partnerships
Customer Relationship Management
- Collaborate with Sales counterparts to enhance retailer relationships and secure Vita Coco’s position as a best-in-class partner.
- Partner with Sales to construct Business / Category Reviews for key accounts.
- Support Sales in recommending account specific support programs that drive category growth and build key customer relationships.
- Support Sales with reports and KPIs to communicate key trends with customers.
- Support Sales with broker management helping focus this resource to drive customer growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Marketing desired or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 – 2 years of data analysis experience, preferably in consumer-packaged goods (CPG) industry experience highly preferred. (Specifically, category management, shopper insights, or sales experience)
- Proficient systems knowledge and experience with synthesize scanning, panel, and custom data sources to craft compelling, fact-based selling stories
- Proven technical excellence in Microsoft Office Productivity tools (Word, advanced Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proven ability to interpret and draw relevant and actionable insights from various research resources and methodologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with key account Sales team(s) and Marketing to understand customer and consumer needs.
- Solid communication skills to include verbal and written capabilities, strong presentation ability.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
This role may require up to 10% travel
We currently have a 2 day per week in office requirement, to work from our office successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination, unless they qualify for a reasonable accommodation for bona fide medical or religious reasons.
The Vita Coco Company is committed to the principles of equal employment. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations. It is our intent to maintain a work environment that is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation because of age, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sex, sexual orientation (including transgender status, gender identity or expression), physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, AIDS/HIV status, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The Company is dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.